Search this Blog & the WWW

Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Successful transplat of a new heart for my old Seiko kinetic




In my previous posting (Significant personal events relating to each of my watch purchases) I mentioned about my first Seiko Kinetic that was bought for me by my wife for my 28th birthday. Unfortunately, due to catastrophic failure of a gasket, seawater got in and fried the electronics. Below is the crown of the said watch. This watch has a reference code of 5M43-0C80.

Due to the age, Seiko could not repair the watch as per original.


Below are some photos of it when it was still working. Well used but at the end very dependable.


The water rating was set at 5 Bar or 50 meters.


Recently, Seiko informed me that they have a movement that is of the same type that is similar to the shape of the original crown. Due to the effects of the saltwater, even the dial was destroyed. Instead, the suggest a transplant of the Seiko Kinetic SKA475P1 crown to my original bracelet. Below is a picture of the model of crown which Seiko suggested I transplant.

It worked well! In fact, I was happy that I kept the old bracelet as it was a solid one unlike the new ones that they provide which is hollow and lack the weight. The only thing that I had to sacrifice is not having a day counter as the newer one only has a date counter. On the plus point, I got a newer and better caliber: the 5M62 and the water rating is now up to 10 Bar or 100 meters. At least the dial is still white like the original.

Total cost of the transplant; RM550.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails